Rabbi Bio

Rabbi Yisroel Perelson

 Email - RabbiYPerelson@optonline.net

Rabbi Yisroel Perelson is originally from Israel. He studied at Yeshiva Torah Vodaath in Brooklyn (NY), where he received his semicha. He became the Rabbi of the Flatbush Park Jewish Center in July of 2012, after working alongside our Rabbi Emeritus, Rabbi David S. Halpern, A"H the previous few years.

Rabbi Perelson also serves with distinction as the Principal of the Flatbush Park Jewish Center Talmud Torah. He and his wife, Raizee (nee Fine), are the parents of Moshe, Chayala, Esty, Brachy, Shlomi, Chanah Shoshana and Batsheva.

 

Rabbi Dr. David S. Halpern, D.D., A"H 

Rabbi Emeritus

 Email - RavDHalpern@optonline.net

Rabbi Dr. David Halpern, A"H, who passed away on October 16th, 2016,  was the Mora D'Asrah of the Flatbush Park Jewish Center from its inception in 1952. He stepped down from the pulpit and became Rabbi Emeritus in July, 2012 after 60 years of guiding and overseeing the growth of what is now called the "mothership" of synagogues in the area. This is possibly the longest tenure in the United States of any rabbi at a single pulpit since its founding.

Rabbi Halpern was graduated from Yeshiva College in 1949, and received his rabbinic ordination from Rabbi Isaac Elchanan Theological Seminary of Yeshiva University in 1952. The Smicha was signed by Rabbi Joseph B. Soloveitchik, Rabbi Samuel Belkin, and Rabbi Moshe Shatzkes.

Several months later, in November, 1952, Rabbi Halpern, after meeting with leaders of the Flatbush Park congregation, was accepted as its Rabbi. In June, 1953, the congregation officially joined the ranks of Modern Orthodox synagogues. At age 23, the newly minted Rabbi began holding services in storefronts on Mill Basin Avenue, and later on Avenue N. In 1960, the Schreiber Sanctuary building and the connecting Jackson building with offices and four classrooms were built. The gym / Early Childhood, and 10 classroom building was built in 1965, and the "Crown Heights Yeshiva" building in the 1980's.

During those early years, Rabbi Halpern made time to serve our country as the Jewish Chaplain of the 71st Infantry, 42nd Rainbow Division of the N.Y. National Guard. Beginning in 1956, he served for six years, attending weekly assemblies at the Armory on Park Avenue & East 34th Street in Manhattan, two week-ends a year in Camp Smith, Peekskill, N.Y., and two weeks every summer in Fort Drum in Upstate, N.Y.

In the early years, the congregants, many who were World War II veterans from Orthodox Jewish backgrounds, were drawn to the neighborhood as affordable homes, about $10,000 each, with 2% interest-rate mortgages, began springing up. Fillmore Gardens was the next wave of some 300 Jewish families in 1954, and then the area enjoyed the migration of Jews from East New York and East Flatbush in the 1950s & 1960s, into Greater Mill Basin.

From that start, the area grew into the large, observant Jewish community it is today. There are currently 10 Orthodox synagogues in the Greater Mill Basin area and perhaps more than 2,000 Jewish families. Rabbi Halpern has been an active member of the Rabbinical Board of Flatbush, serving for 10 years  as the chairman of its Kashrus Committee and 2 years as its president.

Mon, September 25 2017 5 Tishrei 5778